Pink Stripe Rag Homespun Quilt
Approximately 66" x 95" Finished Size
• Materials List for oversized Twin Size Quilt:
• 14-15 yards of assorted homespun cotton fabric
(be sure to use homespun or “yarn dyed” fabric; printed fabric will not fray well)
• 1 full size quilt batting
Basic Assembly Instructions:
1. Cut the fabric into 42 long strips, each one measuring 72” x 6”.
2. Cut the batting into 21 long strips, each one measuring 70” x 4”.
3. Sandwich one piece of batting between two pieces of fabric and pin in place.
4. Stitch down the center of each strip to secure the batting in place.
5. Stitch across the width of the strip in two or three different places to secure the batting even further. You can place these cross stitch lines in a specific measured place or you can just space them out randomly on each strip.
6. Do the center stitching and cross stitching on all the strips.
7. Now stitch the strips together to form the full quilt.
8. Clip each of the seam allowances with clips that are place approximately ½ inch apart and ½ inch deep. Be sure that you don’t clip into the stitching line. This will take a long time and it is a good tv night project.
9. Stitch a line around the perimeter of the quilt 5/8 inch from the edge.
10. Clip around the perimeter ½ apart and ½ inch deep. Be sure that you don’t clip into the stitching line.
11. Machine wash your quilt in cold water using detergent and liquid fabric softener. The liquid fabric softener is not required but it will really help loose the strings to create a fluffy “fray”. Add ¼ cup of table salt to the wash to help stabilize the colors and slow any fading.
12. Take your quilt outside and shake loose the strings before putting it in the dryer. You may need help with this part.
13. Machine dry. Clean the lint trap a couple times while drying since there will be an excessive buildup of strings. After drying, take it outside and shake again. Use a lint roller to clean up any remaining strings.
Copyright 2011 Jubilee Creative Studio, LLC. All Rights Reserved. These instructions and images may not be reproduced or redistrubuted with express permission from Jubilee Creative Studio, LLC